AYSO Area 1F
Referee Upgrade Procedures
The AYSO Area 1F referee staff is committed to providing well-trained, experienced referees at all levels of officiating and has developed the following policies and procedures for candidates upgrading to Intermediate or Advanced referee levels. National referee candidates adhere to policies and procedures set forth by Section One, an overview of which is summarized below.
In exceptional situations, Area referee staff (Area Referee Administrator (ARA), Area Director of Assessment (ADA) or Area Director of Instruction (ADI)) working with the Regional Referee Administrator (RRA) or the Regional Director of Assessment (RDA) can alter these policies and procedures when it is in the best interest of the referee and the National Referee Program.
1. Referees should complete the appropriate referee course, written examination, and physical fitness test, if required, prior to requesting an observation or assessment.
2. It is suggested RDAs schedule mentoring assessments prior to the formal assessment. Mentoring assessments are beneficial in providing comments, feedback and advice on practices that may affect the referee’s officiating. Regions implementing mentoring assessments and referees completing upgrade requirements prior to the formal assessment find it invaluable in the overall upgrade process.
3. Matches shall utilize the Diagonal System of Control and be of suitable duration.
4. The same assessor may perform each of the referee’s successful assessments.
5. The same assessor may not perform a referee’s subsequent assessments if the referee is recommended for further observation by that assessor.
6. No more than two assessments by the same assessor will be approved on the same match. Multiple match assessments may be accommodated but only with assessor consent.
7. To the extent possible, the assessor should not be one of the referee’s upgrade course instructors.
Upgrading to Intermediate Referee:
A referee upgrading to Intermediate referee level must adhere to the following:
1. The referee must request an observation by contacting the RDA directly.
2. The referee and RDA shall make arrangements for the referee to be observed on an under-12 60-minute match. If requested by the referee and approved by the RDA, a higher division match may be substituted for the observation.
3. The RDA shall approve and assign an advisor to observe the referee. The advisor shall be from the candidate’s home region unless an advisor is not readily available.
4. One referee observation is required. One observation as an assistant referee is recommended.
5. The advisor shall notify the RRA and ADA the results of the observation.
6. After completion of all Intermediate referee upgrade requirements, the ADA shall submit the completed upgrade form to the AYSO National Support and Training Center for final verification. The referee shall retain the original certification form.
Upgrading to Advanced Referee:
A referee upgrading to Advanced referee level must adhere to the following:
1. The referee must request an assessment by contacting the RDA directly.
2. The referee and RDA shall make arrangements for the referee to be assessed on an under-14 70-minute match. If requested by the referee and approved by the RDA, a higher division match may be substituted for the assessment. It is suggested the referee and RDA line-up more than one match to improve the chances of finding available assessors. The RDA shall provide match information to the ADA at least two weeks prior to the assessment date.
3. The ADA shall approve and assign an assessor to assess the referee. The assessor shall be from outside the candidate’s home region unless an assessor is not readily available. The ADA shall immediately receive notification if the candidate or the assessor cannot keep the assessment commitment.
4. Two assessments are required: one as referee, one as assistant referee.
5. The assessor shall notify the RRA and the ADA the results of the assessment.
6. After completion of all Advanced referee upgrade requirements, the ADA shall submit the completed upgrade form to the AYSO National Support and Training Center for final verification. The referee shall retain the original certification form.
Upgrading to National Referee:
A referee upgrading to National referee level must adhere to the policies and procedures set by Section One, a copy of which can be downloaded at www.aysosection1.org and are summarized below:
1. The candidate makes an assessment request to the ADA by submitting a list of available under-19 matches. Assessment matches do not have to be from the candidate’s home Area.
2. The ADA shall contact the RRA or RDA to verify the candidate’s readiness and shall then contact an approved assessor not from the candidate’s home Area.
3. The Section Director of Assessment (SDA) approves the assessment request.
4. It is required the referee receive three assessments: two as referee and one as assistant referee.
5. The ADA provides the candidate the assessor’s contact information to confirm arrangements.
6. After completion of all National referee upgrade requirements, the referee should make copies of his/her completed form and forward the original to the SDA for approval, signature and submission to the AYSO National Support and Training Center.